Sunday, January 21, 2007

I'm on a cruise ship trying to find someone. I run upstairs into a sleeper room and several young black women in bunk beds wake up. As I apologize for disturbing them, a few gunshots ricochet nearby. I walk into a large open room with floor-to-ceiling- windows and see police outside shoorting at someone in the street. As the man goes down, a traincar full of screaming people goes by. Police start taking shots of some of the people on the roof of the train. Some look armed but most are just making angry gestures at the cops. I hit the deck, scared of catching a stray bullet but I also don't want to miss the action. I continue to peek at the scene from behind some blocks. The train (now a double-decker bus) stops and backs up. The top level is filled with a yelling mob holding banners and signs. There are even groups of children aboard. The shooting stops and is replaced by passersby shouting and throwing things at the bus. I think the bus passengers are racists or white supremists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home