Wednesday, November 22, 2006

I'm late going to pick up Sofia from my mom in the morning. I walk into her house and see the two of them asleep on the couch. I pick up Sofia who stays asleep. My mom wakes up and asks me what time it is. I tell her it's 11:30 and she's very annoyed that I'm late (I was supposed to come before 10 so she could make it to work). She starts saying how she doesn't want to babysit anymore because I've been late. I say that this is the only time I've been late and it's because we overslept. She starts making some sticky rice dish in the kitchen as we continue talking. At first I tell her it's fine if she doesn't want to and start to walk out. Then I decide to speak my mind and start talking to her very seriously, "You can do whatever you want but running your business this way is bad for several reasons: 1. You can never retire and keep the business. You'll have to either close it down or keep running it. You can't sell a business to someone else when you've spent all this time micromanaging the employees. 2. You can never hire a manager because they won't be able to handle the employees. 3. By the time you can retire, you'll be too old to enjoy it. Right now you're at an age to at least enjoy yourself. She listens intently and we decide to continue the conversation another time.

I'm in the car driving home and I have to make a few u-turns in an unfamiliar neighborhood. I can hear Susannah talking to AJ on the phone about something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home