Tuesday, March 01, 2005

I'm in my parents' old house on Otter Creek visiting some friends. Through the front window I see Mark Camichael & someone else approaching. As I go to answer the door, I call for my mom to come see. She's a large black woman and it takes her a long time to get out of th ekitchen (which is newer & fancier than our old kitchen). I tell to to hurry & come see my old high school buddies.

Once inside, I'm talking to Mark while his friend keeps getting into trouble. He asks what the fork & knife are for in the dip bowl. We tell him it's for serving, rolling our eyes at the uncultured guy. He scoops up some runny yellow dip from a bowl & shovels it into his mouth. A second later, he realizes it's mustard and begins to gag.

Mark & I walk to the front door and I hear his friend causing a fuss back in the kitchen. I can also hear a female friend of mine cursing at him. I tell Mark to please get him out of here, to make up an excuse & get him out before he causes more trouble. Mark is hesitant but finally does so.

I go to the back porch an dgreet my other friends. They are all KY natives who live in New York (none of them look familiar, inclusing one who looks like Annabella Sciorra). I tell them how great it is to have them all here for a poker game. I try to find a spot to stand on the deck but it's covered with insects, snakes & frogs. I keep skipping around, trying not to step on anything. It's half comical, half frightening for me. I say, "I guess I'm not use to all the wildlife anymore." I finally sit down but can't put me feet down because of some frogs and a slithering snake. I wonder out loud if the snake is poisonous.

Later...

We're evacuating the house and venturing out into a dangerous world. I run back into the darkened house & try to find more useful items to take. I grab the boken and a flashlight & try to find a leather suitcase to put them in.

Later, My mom & I are trying to figure out how to get all of our items moved. The house has no furniture, only boxes of clothes & items. I suggest we hire a moving van with movers to pick up everything. She tells me that we're very short on money and may not be able to afford it. I suggest we use the car we've been borrowing. She says we'll have to get it over here from China. I'm confused by that statement since the car is obviously already here. We walk towards the car in a darkened gravel lot.

Along the way I'm reading an article about Natalie Portman. It recounts how she prepared for her role in a movie. "I just focused on (Thomas Haden Church) and opened up my bags (tear ducts) and let it all out." We get to the car & I start driving us to our new home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home