Monday, May 13, 2002

This morning:

I'm in a busy, dark store wading through lots of people. There are armed guards standing around with machine guns. At the door, there are women collecting rifles and personal effects of the men they've lost. (There's a very Israeli-Palestinian conflict feel about the whole thing). I get in line with a woman (seemed like Karen from SF Gate) and hold her rifle for her as she gets her things. The rifle is wooden and heavy. The checkout lady gives her some things and we walk toward the door. I tell her to wait for me and run to a locker to get something. Aman Saxena (a fat Indian kid I knew in 6th grade) is there and asks me why I'm carrying all this stuff for her. (There's a subplot with me trying to explain who Aman is to Josh Weill and someone else).

I walk down some stairs with Karen and a couple other guys as she talks about her dead/martyred boyfriend. The stairs become gigantic and we have to carefully hop down each one. One of the other guys asks us where we're going. Someone else explains that Karen (or another woman) found a place with Union soldiers that was safe and had food. We start arguing about something. Then the conversation turns to remembering the foods that the martyrs liked and makes us all hungry and sentimental.

Scene change (3rd person omniscient):

There are lots of Union soldiers milling about as we walk out of a cave. I ask how the girl came upon the Union soldiers and whether this was all a flashback or what. Apparently the scene was present tense and we had really found the soldiers. I wonder out loud if the Civil War era soldiers can deal with seeing a Chinese guy.

Our group quickly runs to what looks like a graduation ceremony in an outdoor pavilion. There's a banner with the year 1972 (though some of the letters and numbers look Greek).

End.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home