Friday, June 01, 2007

I'm standing in a room with a Chinese beaurocrat/businessman. He's wanted for some corporate crimes in the USA and I take hiim into a waiting car outside. The driver starts off and I start talking to Tobey Zigler & Josh Lyman from the West Wing in the backseat. I'm separated from them by a large box. The businessman is defiant and tells the driver to "take me to the Chinese embassy." The driver says he taking him to the Embassy Suites instead. Tobey & Josh are happy about their catch but the businessman says, "Your country still wants to do business with ours and nothing will happen to me. They'll slap me on the wrist & send me back. I'll lose my government job but I'll be back here in no time. Maybe as a consultant. I know I'll have a job in the near future, will you?"

Josh seems optimistic despite his smarmy speech. "I guess that's what you like about this show, huh? No matter how cynical the real world is, the idealists always win out in the end, huh?"

Later, I'm in a store owned by Maarten & Jessica in Holland with Susannah's dad (who's in the body of an attractive 40-something blonde woman). The store looks like a messy lawyer's office and specializes in books about architecture & design, as well as stationary & gifts. We're talking in the empty store and I want to get away. I grab two wrapped gifts and tell Joel I have to drop them off. I ask him if he wants coffee. He seems confused so I convince him he does want coffee and offer to get him black coffee with a couple sugars. As I head out, I see a huge line of people about to come in. I come back inside to help him with the store.

He's now a cross between Ileda & my mom's mom. She says something in Dutch & I shrug. She laughs and asks if I like the language. I tell her it's not too hard to understand and I can usually decipher it if I know the context of the conversation. A customer she knows comes up and she greets him. She begins talking about where Jessica & Maarten live and her Dutch quickly turns into Wuxi dialect. She begins describing their house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home