Saturday, March 31, 2007

I'm in a museum with some relatives about to say goodbye. It's 8 and our plane leaves at 9:20. I start getting my stuff ready and Susannah (or a male relative) asks half-jokingly if we can take a nap. "It's already 8 and our plane leaves at 9:30 and we have to get back to the hotel to get our stuff, then to the airport," I yell, "You can sleep on the plane!" The people around us laugh. I hug my uncle goodbye and thank him for his hospitality. I want to ask him to settle up any money we owe him but I decide not to.

I hug some other friends & relatives around us (including Hollis, AJ & Laura Fuqua) and start heading out. Hollis walks with me as we make our way through the courtyard. We see a group of Gypsy-like kids and women down in the main courtyard. Some of the kids and toddlers are fighting and the adults don't seem to care. As we walk by them, we see a toddler holding a small dog. The dog seems to be biting the kid. Hollis gets on her phone to call 911. We walk by someone she knows and she stops to ask her if she's working or not.

I continue on alone, my legs feeling sluggish, each step a struggle. I'm carrying a foot-long paperclip, a regular paper clip and two framed paintings Hollis gave me. I throw the paperclips down and consider leaving the art, too.

I exit the huge museum (reminds me of the Forbidden City) into a field. A few kids on bikes ride past me. I want to ask someone where the main exit is but get a little scared I'll get pegged as a tourist and robbed. I walk past a line of trees and see the main entrance to the museum. I also see the main road we drove in on and realize I'll have to take a cab to get back to the hotel. Susannah has apparently gone ahead without me and I struggle to get towards the entrance.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lazymom said...

Oh my gosh. Do you ever update your other blog. And where are you guys??????

4/01/2007 10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home