Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I've just returned to my store after a trip abroad & I'm trying to get caught up on paperwork. Adam Weinberg is waiting around for me outside. He and his girlfriend filled in at the store while I was away and both did terribly. Adam lingers outside waiting for his checks while his dad (or his girlfriend's dad) keeps bugging me to pay Adam. He's clutching some cash so I know he's been paid at least.

I head outside to talk to Adam and he starts going on about one time when we were filing DVDs together. We'd been talking about Coldplay and U2 and how Bono was now a multimillionaire and into all kinds of stuff besides music. I feel like he's criticizing me for getting far away from my video store roots and is using the anecdote to leverage for a raise. I try to talk to him about his performance but his dad keeps standing next to us and bugging me for their paychecks. I firmly but politely tell him to give us a minute and I head back inside for the checks.

I dig up 3 prewritten checks and start filling them out when my dad walks in and wants me to go count cash at his store. I tell him I'm busy with my own stuff but he won't go away. He keeps bugging me and insisting I go with him. I get more and more angry with him until finally I start yelling in his face, Ï have to get these people paid! I have totalk to these two employees and maybe fire them both, do you understand tha?!" He's lying on a couch and caught offguard by my rage. Several employees clear the room while one remains peeling and cutting lettuce and napa cabbage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home