Saturday, May 28, 2005

I'm back in Lexington (or San Francisco) wandering around some building. I suddenly run into several classmates from Henry Clay. Some of them I recognize immediately, some of them only look vaguely familiar. we walk out of the building together. I ask them if they are visiting or if they live here and they all tell me they live here. I marvel out loud at the magnetic pull that New Orleans had on all of them. I tell them I resisted the pull south and moved to New York City.

We walk through a back yard and through some abandoned resort. Eventually we wander by a subway entrance and I see Susannah rushing down into the station. I get her attention and tell her I've run into old classmates. She's on her way to her old job to show off the baby to Chris since she didn't get to see the baby yet. We're trying to figure out if I should go with her or hang out with the classmates.

Susannah tells me that we're supposd to be staying with Elise but that she may not have enough room for both of us. I want to find George & Beth's phone number to see if they have room for us.

We sit down on the steps where the classmates are waiting for me. I want to ask everyone about their jobs, marital status, etc. I tell them I'm sorry for holding them up. One of them says in a southern accent, "As Slidel would say, I've never been held up in my life." I joke about his referrance to a Democrativ leader, "Isn't he one of them, you know, rare creatures?" We all joke about the weakness of the Democratic party. We also comment that all the internal criticism within the party is all based on the desire to criticize Bush.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home