Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Tuesday, June 22nd, 2004

I’m leaving a grocery store and trying to find my car in the parking lot. I wander around for a bit and can’t seem to find it anywhere. I get out my keys and keep pressing the “unlock” button to hope to hear my car unlocking.

I walk over to a gravel lot a little farther from the store and open up a car door. A dead black man in his 40s falls out of the seat. I get panicked and try to cover his body with leaves, trying not to leave any fingerprints on his body. A group of teenagers walk by and I get scared they’ll see me.

Later…

I’m in a car with a woman I know (let’s call her Renee) when our car and many cars around us start speeding backwards on the road. Several of them collide but don’t cause any injuries. As all the cars stop, the people get start getting out, dazed and afraid. We get out and try to figure out what happened. We suspect some greater force at work. A few skeptics think we’re crazy. Renee says, “Then how come all the cars conveniently didn’t cause any injuries?”

The scene changes to indoors and we walk into a banquet hall. All the people are still confused and trying to figure out what happened. There’s something happening outside and Renee and I, along with a few brave others, head to the windows to see. We say to ourselves, “If there’s something special to meet, better we do it than these ignorant masses.”

I hop up on a table and onto the large windowsills to see out the window. We’re in a high-rise building and I look down to see an incredible scene. There are lots of people loading giant candles onto a huge flatbed truck. Others are covering the flatbed with wax and connecting all the candles with a giant wick. I yell for Renee, “You’ve GOT to come see this!” She and others run for the windows. “They’re making you a birthday display!” I tell her.

Someone asks, “Why don’t they show themselves?” I theorize, “Because they don’t want to reveal themselves. I mean, you could try to explain these events away. It could be that Renee has a group of great friends we don’t know about, creative friends. Maybe the Society for Creative Anachronism or something.”

We’re now outside on the roof. I look to the horizon and see twin moons. Suddenly they start showing cartoons. I nudge Renee, “Look, we have a change of programming.” The images flick with cartoons and kids’ shows, including something that looks like Strawberry Shortcake. I look back at Renee and she’s turned into a cartoon character herself, watching the images in the sky.

The shows begin to fade and something silent asks her for more information. I see a small stream of numbers leave Renee’s face and scroll towards the moons. The images continue, this time with programming geared towards a young teenager girl.

I see Renee’s exposed back being covered one by one with large plastic leaves (as she ages into an adult).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home