Sunday, May 21, 2006

Susannah and I and some friends are in a jewelry store while on vacation. I'm looking for a necklace for Susannah but don't find anything I like. I wander down the stree to another store while the rest of the group stays put. I'm hoping to find something & buy it for her as a surprise. In the other store I find a pendant I think she would like. I ask a salesperson for a cord to go with it. He distractedly shows me something that looks like a small woven blanket. It feels a little scratchy and I know that Susannah wouldn't want to wear something so big and uncomfortable on her neck. I also note that it's $210. I ask if he has just a plain leather strap. He (a tall middle eastern man w/ closely shaved hair) seems mildly irritated and impatient and shows me a couple of plain leather straps that can be cut to size. As I ponder the purchase, the salesman tells me, almostly offhandedly, that for each strao I buy he has to charge me a tax. I'm flabbergasted and start to argue with him. He tells me it's the law and his hands are tied. I loudly start to yell about this so all the other customers can here. "Let's say I want to buy a watch. The watch is $100 and the watchband is $10. Oh, it's aother $10 for the band because of this 'tax.' What the fuck?!" The other customers laugh as I continue ranting. "I grew up in this country, I speak English, buddy. So dont try to pull this shit on me. You did the same thing to me last time I bought here and I made you drop this phony charge. As I walk around ranting, I see the salesman getting visibly angry. "Don't do anything rash, buddy," I taunt him, "Or I'll own this store."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home