Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Wednesday, October 6, 2004

I’m at home with Susannah, my grandmother & Li Hong. We’re talking about having kids and being pregnant. Susannah & I go into the bedroom to fold clothes & put away laundry. I hear my grandmother speaking loudly about how we took too long to have kids. Li Hong speaks up to defend us, saying that we’re pregnant now. Susannah asks me what they’re saying and I don’t translate it.

Later, Li Hong tells me that they were both kidding and just messing with me. I tell him that I didn’t find it funny and don’t think we should spend what precious little time we have together with these kinds of games.

Later…

I’m in an outdoor venue watching Kill Bill on a drive-in screen. As a scene plays, the rowdy audience begins reciting the lines and acting out the scene themselves. A large Latino gangster/biker gang contingent begin dancing & yelling & letting of firecrackers. As several of the swing strings of lit firecrackers around their head, the exploding firecrackers hit people and the crowd begins to scatter. I slowly make my way to a nearby building with most of the white people have gone.

Once the raucous dies down, I come back into the crowd. I look down at my arms and notice that the firecrackers that hit me have lightened my skin in small patches, punctuating my tan with splotches of lighter skin. Several young white people compare their skin with mine.

Later…

I’m in an Indian village with my fellow Native Americans. There has been trouble lately and everyone is scrambling to prepare for bad weather. We gather outside in the dark while many of us are preparing the ground and the wooden fences.

I stand near the outer perimeter and notice that all the wooden fence posts are topped with small batteries. I ask someone what they’re for and they tell me to wait and see,

A storm begins and lightning hits some of the posts, creating a small but spectacular electrical show. Everyone applauds.

We then hear and feel a tremendous rumbling and feel many creatures rush by. Someone tells me the bison have returned.

The next morning, some of the youngsters are on horseback with bow & arrows pretending to be hunters. I ride with them to a playground where my sister and her friends are standing about. She’s telling them that she just got into a college in Florida and how she’s ready to spend some money with her new credit card.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home