Monday, October 18, 2004

Monday, October 18th, 2004

I’m in a Best Buy going up an escalator with several young employees. I lean on a stack of boxes as we head up. Once on the upper floor, I grab a smaller box off the top of the stack and walk off. It’s the newest version of the Mac G5, just a keyboard and a tiny flat hard drive. I walk out the front door and the alarm doesn’t sound.

As I make my way down the street, I walk into a narrow alley. It widens into an abandoned street. There are large buildings on either side covered in sand and dust. All the windows are broken and it appears the entire buildings are filled with sand. As I walk down the creepy street, some sand pours out of several of the buildings. I get nervous and stop.

As I turn to leave, I pass a couple of young women, who are also freaked out.

As I get back into the alley, a thin, older man approaches. He tells me that this street is an eyesore and a menace and that the city won’t do anything about it. I ask him if anyone lives on the street and he says only a few people. I suggest that he forms a block committee and try to improve it.

Once back at the house where I’m staying, I look at the receipts attached to the computer box and see that it’s supposed to ship to a company in British Columbia. I consider for a second whether or not I should keep it. I go through my bag to find room to put the computer. There are lots of thick magazines inside, many of them Susannah’s. I wonder if I should call her to see if she wants to keep them all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home