Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Tuesday, February 17th, 2004

I’m just finishing up a class and getting ready to go home. I’m talking to Tamara while Lynnette listens on. I ask Tamara about her experience getting her kid into daycare. She tells me that she just showed up and got in line. I’m surprised it was so easy and figure that if she can do it, I can do it.

It’s raining outside and I’m trying to find my umbrella. I complain that my umbrella sucks and Tamara tells me not to use it. I remember that Lynnette had given me one of hers, one with a wooden duck on the end. I take it and start heading out. On my way out, I ask a European classmate if he’s leaving. He tells me he likes to stay after and study while no one else is around.

I head into the hallway but double back to the classroom for some reason. The European student is there along with another guy. A girl’s luggage sits in the back and I wonder if it’ll be secure there.

Walking down the hall, I’m passed by some rough kids. One of them skips down the stairs ahead of me. I hold the railing as I walk since the floor is wet. I wonder of the other kid is going to slip and fall.

Another guy passes me as I walk down the hall. He is a known drug dealer (and looks much older than a high school student). As he walks, he’s wrapping a rubber hose around his arm.

As I approach another stairwell, I notice the door to it is closed (they’re normally always open). I see two guys standing behind it. I’m a little apprehensive as I open the door. As soon as I try to step past them, one of them grabs me and stabs me twice with a switchblade in preparation to rob me.

Later…

I come to the store in late afternoon to work. After I roll up the gate and enter, I realize that Michelle’s not there. There are several customers browsing. It seems like they’d been waiting a while.

I stand outside and see Michelle come in. We also see Jennifer Milich riding a tricycle with Max. I wave them over and say hello. They’re inside the store, which is now an empty house. It’s raining outside and the rain is also inside (as if there is no roof). The carpeted floor is very muddy. When they come closer, I realize it’s an older cousin with Max and not his mother. I grab a sponge and threaten to get mud on Max. They chase me up the stairs, with Max throwing water on me with a small bucket. I defend myself with an umbrella.

Michelle goes into a bathroom upstairs to put on lotion and get ready. I leave Max and his cousin to talk to her. I say, “I know it’s really short notice and I should’ve told you much earlier… our friend Robert is coming in from England tonight…” Michelle looks irritated (she also looks completely different, a white woman with a shaved head and wrinkles around her eyes).

We hear a phone ringing and wonder whose it is. She goes to answer it as I head downstairs. I notice someone at the door ringing the doorbell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home