Thursday, August 14, 2003

Thursday, August 7th, 2003

I’m in a house with Adam, Susannah, my parents, May, my grandmother and other family and friends. We’re trying to schedule social activities. Susannah gets frustrated and doesn’t think we have time to do everything and see everyone. I tell everyone, “Look, everyone here came all the way out here… twice… for our wedding. I’m sure we’ll figure it all out.” We all start heading out. May pulls on my sleeve and asks if she can leave. I see AJ (who looks like he’s in his 60s with white hair) holding Everett or Max. I feel something on my head and turn to look. My mom has a gun to my head and laughs, “Don’t worry, it’s fake.”

Later…

I’m in a courtyard with some other people. One woman is fooling around with a long, bolt-action rifle. I take it from her and fiddle with it. “Man, can you imagine firing this thing?” I say, “It’s so long, especially with the bayonet on.” I pretend to fire it and reload it with ball & powder. I then open the bolt & look in the chamber. I notice there are several live rounds in it, little silver bullets - most of them pointed the wrong way. I tell everyone I’m glad the woman (Hollis Bulleit from Henry Clay?) didn’t actually fire the rifle. Then I say that the gun probably would’ve been fine sine the hammer would’ve struck the tip of the bullet which had no gunpowder in it.

Someone calls us over to see a shipment of more guns. We’re all given toy AK-47’s for a game. I try mine out and say, “Hey, it even makes that corny noise, just like the one I had as a kid.” I walk around the courtyard and notice lots of military books and things on shelves. I ask someone opening boxes of parachutes if they’re real. He asks me why we would have fake parachutes. I walk from shelf to shelf, looking at all the books. The lighting is dim and spotty. I wonder if everything is for sale or if I can just take some of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home