Friday, August 29, 2003

Friday, August 29th, 2003

I’m going into a house of someone I know. I think I’m house sitting or visiting. I go through the mailbox and pick up a ton of mail. Much of it is a bunch of zines from a zinester I know and like. I’d found one of her zines a while back and wrote her for more (since we hadn’t traded in a long time). I’m very delighted to have so much of her work.

I go inside and realize I’m at the house of two women I know. One of them reminds of Marilyn Oliva (a VFB customer). I offer to make them dinner and they’re pleasantly surprised. I dig through their fridge and find a zip-lock full of tofu. The tofu is mixed with peas and little bits of pork and mushrooms. There are also sliced shitakes in the bag. I suggest we coat the tofu w/ flour & panfry them, then stir-fry them. I ask them if they have any bok choy. They say yes, but then seem unsure. “What does it look like?” one of them asks, picking up a wilted punch of green onions. I look through their fridge and find a small bag full. I ask, “Does anyone know their hot peppers?” One woman says yes and I tell her we have 2 bags full that a friend (Chris Hapka) gave me. We go through the bags and I tell them I think the big ones and the jalapenos are safe but the small green ones and small red ones are really hot. One woman puts a big one to her nose like a fake mustache.

Later…

I’m talking to a friend whose father is a farmer. He’s telling me about how his dad’s crop is premature and he had to artificially speed up the maturation so he could sell the crop. I ask him if that worked out ok. He says no. He says it’s like buying a car that breaks down on the way home instead of simply not starting on the sales lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home