Friday, December 12, 2003

Friday, December 12th, 2003

I’ve impulsively entered a globetrotting adventure (along with Tom and many others around the world) where you chase after several items that are pieced together to form some relic or prize. I lose Tom along the way.

I’m on a train high above the Himalayas. We go over a giant ravine and I ask the train operator to please go back so I can get off. The train goes into reverse and takes a steep dive like a roller coaster. I hang on for dear life. A passenger near me says, “That’s nothing, you should see the way we go into China.”

Once on the ground, I get off in a crowded courtyard. I see Tom anxiously looking for me. I proudly walk towards him, waving a piece of artificial fabric (like a piece of a diver’s suit) at him, showing him part of the prize. He sees me and is elated. I also see Susannah, her mom and several other friends and family coming for me. Everyone is excited for me. Susannah’s mom tells me she read all about my progress in the Richmond paper (which makes me realize how big of a deal this all is). Susannah seems worried or anxious for me. The cell phone in my pocket rings and it’s another friend/well-wisher. I tell them that I’m doing fine and meeting up with friends and family in Quebec (or Montreal) for dinner. They ask me, “They just all showed up in some random place, hoping to find something to eat?” I reply, “No, we’re in a very touristy area, so I’m sure we can find a restaurant.”

As we go off to eat, I’m imagining a newspaper interviewing me. I imagine tell them that parents should worry if their kids want to enter this contest.

Later…

I’m at a house in the suburbs with my mom, Susannah, her mom and other friends and family. We’re gathering up our things and getting ready to leave. I go outside and take a walk around the neighborhood. It’s a recently constructed neighborhood with lots of kids. Across the street from all the houses are jungle gyms, swings and other places for kids to play on. Next to the house where we are, there’s construction for several more houses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home