Monday, December 10, 2001

Had a very intense 5-minute dream this morning. This all happened right after Susannah left for work.

We were in some middle eastern town in Palestine (?) watching a reporter (Christiane Amanpour?) speaking into a tape recorder. She kept asking "Can San Francisco hear me?" I ran to a TV and turned the volume up and told her we could hear her. I was standing with old people we knew, Susannah had wandered off a bit. Suddenly, we saw a man come into the street, dressed in black, with a mask on. He was bulging with brick-shaped things under his black sweater. I grabbed the old lady next to me and we ran for cover behind a wall. We hit the grab and held each other tight as we heard a chain of small explosions go off. I really thought we were going to die. When it was over, we got up and were elated that we were still alive. We started walking around looking for our spouses.

The scene had no carnage, it looked like the inside of a high school, with lots of (mostly older) people wandering around. I ran around helping the old lady and looking for Susannah. The old lady eventually found her husband and I kept looking. I saw a food line going into a cafeteria and said to the old couple that Susannah wouldn't be in that line, that we both hated being in line. I ran to the other side of the cafeteria and went in and saw her. She was in a wheelchair and looked like she had no head. But I definitely knew it was her. I ran to her, overcome with relief. As I approached her, she did have a head but it looked plasticky and emotionless. I knelt down beside her and tried to talk to her (out of breath) but she seemed unable or unwilling to respond. I also thought that she was holding her head in her lap (beneath her shirt/gown). I told her I was glad she got some food (spaghetti?) and had trouble talking to her (I was so out of breath from running around and from seeing her alive). I looked around for a drink and took a sip of water from the paper cup in her hand. Susannah seemed ashamed to tell me something (like she had a plastic head or something?).

I woke up out of breath and very emotional.

A very interpretable dream, but incredibly viseral and emotional no less. Don't think I can get back to sleep now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home