Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Wednesday, October 29th, 2003

I’m at the store at night with Brian. The lights are really dim for some reason and I keep trying to figure a way to light the store better. Run DMC are in the store and Run asks if I buy DVDs. I tell him yes. He asks how much I pay for them. I tell him I don’t give quote without looking at them. DMC suddenly rearranges the entire DVD sale section so he can browse faster. I’m very annoyed at him and stare at him with my arms crossed.

I notice the track light that lights the sale section is not pointed right and doesn’t illuminate that section of the store very well. I show Brian by turning out some of the other lights. I go to get a stool and ask Brian to adjust that light. A customer comes in and asks me if he can bring in his long, tube-shaped boom-box. I tell him he can as long as it doesn’t get in the way.

The store is now bigger, more like an office set up in a warehouse. I run around taking note of the positions of the lights. Instead of customers, the place is filled with a film crew. Talking to myself out loud, I say we need to replace all the key lights with smaller lights all around the walls. I’m very happy to come up with this solution and yell, “By the way, this is how films go over budget and how directors come to be known as megalomaniacs!”

Near the front window, I see other members of the crew waving for me to cross the street and join them. I head outside and down to the sidewalk. It’s winter and there’s melting snow on the curbs. Emily Erickson (a VFB customer) approaches me pushing a stroller. In the stroller is an Asian toddler with a bushy head of hair. I get the feeling Emily likes me.

We cross the street and up the stairs (without the baby) to her apartment. Other crew people are with us. We ring the doorbell and a young Indian guy (Emily’s roommate) answers. He condescendingly says we can come in if we don’t mess anything up. We try to tell him something about the movie we’re working on. He says, “The way you explain meat to us (referring to Emily and himself), it comes out like brown rice.” I see his statement written out in my mind. Annoyed, Emily hits him and says, “That’s genetics, stupid!”

We continue standing on the steps as Emily comes back with a blanket draped over her. She stands in the doorway talking to us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home