Sunday, October 08, 2000

My Non-Vacation Update:

Synopsis/Overview: I'm going to my girlfriend (Susannah)'s sister (Jessica)'s wedding in Richmond, KY, hang out w/ my mom for a few days in Lexington, KY, fly up to Warren, PA and visit w/ my old friends George & Beth & their little bundle of drool, Abigail, go up to Hamilton, On, Canada for my buddy AJ's wedding. Come home. Sleep. Get over the cold I'm sure to have.

Friday 10/6
Spent a sleepless neck-breaking 3 hours and 45 minutes on a plane next to a cranky toddler. Rented a crappy American car and drove bleary-eyed from Cincinnati to Lexington. Breakfast w/ mom and a long nap. Drove down to Richmond for the Rehearsal Dinner/Reception. It was in the fancy old-world Victorian of a family friend. Overdecorated but impressive. Got to meet all the Dutchies. Maarten (Jessica's Groom-to-be) seems like a swell guy.

For some reason my mom's Cable is better than ours at home. I don't get the Sci-Fi channel at home anymore. Hrmph.

Saturday 10/7
The wedding ceremony was in the Meditation Chapel of the Eastern KY U. A nice cozy (if chilly) circular building with pews on all sides and a pedestal in the center. The ceremony was refreshingly nontraditional, with Jessica and Maarten doing most of the talking, exchanging vows they wrote themselves. Maarten's sister and Susannah both got to go up and speak also. The whole thing was pretty much non-religious, ending with the Jewish custom of breaking a glass to commemorate the destruction of Jeruselum. It was all very moving because of the the simplicity and innate spirituality of the event. Unfettered by ritual and extraneous nonsense. Almost makes me wanna get married. I said ALMOST.

The reception was festive, Jessica's usually cranky dad gave quite a funny and poignant toast, while Maarten's dad gave a lengthy and somewhat perplexing toast with much medical allegory. I didn't get it but shrugged it off (They're Dutch, what can you do...) The evening ended with the infatiguable Dutchies singing silly songs, and everybody eating delicious cake. Oh and lots of bad dancing to the disco hits of the 70's. And Dutch songs. And Springsteen's "Born in the USA" which I serious doubt was requested by any of the American contingent. A good time had by all. I shot 8 rolls of film of the festivities and can't wait to see them. I think I'm in 3 pictures total.

Sunday 10/8
I took Susannah to the airport earlier. She's gonna spend a week back in SF without me but at least she'll have our furry children to keep her company. My mom & I drove up to Georgetown to see my cousin Li Hong, his wife May and their precocious 5 year old Mercedes. She's cute as ever and sharp as a tack, loves the Powderpuff Girls and dancing in her little ballet shoes. I'm writing this from Li Hong's office/nook to the pitter-patter of little feet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home