Tuesday, October 03, 2000

I'm going to play mindless puzzle games online for a while. To decompress.

In college, I used to walk down the street to campus and spend hours in the arcade after midnight. The smell of smoke, a half drunk can of mountain dew at my side. Colored jewels, or oddly shaped bricks filled a glowing screen, shining into my sleepless eyes. I would let the day run through my head like a dream, a waking dream, while my fingers and hands moved of their own accord, while my eyes darted around the screen, matching colors, shapes, breaking high scores. I used to go to the arcade when my mind was heavy, when my heart sat in my stomache. I used to go to the arcade when I was listless, out of sorts. It is at once a distraction and a calm meditative state. I misse that arcade at 2AM. I miss secondary smoke and nearby chatter of geekboys and sounds of fists, guns, revving engines. I miss walking out of the arcade at 3AM, out of quarters, walking the 5 blocks home. I miss the coolness of a summer night and a head heavy with sleep and glowing bricks of color.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home